Family of five in blaze drama thank their rescuers
A FAMILY who escaped from their burning home after a taxi driver making an early-morning call raised the alarm, have thanked their rescuers. The taxi driver was picking up a neighbour of the Wolfe-Robinson family in Pollicott Close, St Albans, in the earl
A FAMILY who escaped from their burning home after a taxi driver making an early-morning call raised the alarm, have thanked their rescuers.
The taxi driver was picking up a neighbour of the Wolfe-Robinson family in Pollicott Close, St Albans, in the early hours of last Tuesday morning when he spotted the fire in their downstairs cloakroom where a candle had been left alight.
The taxi driver, Terry Kingham from Welwyn Garden City, raised the alarm by ringing the Wolfe-Robinson's doorbell to alert the family of five. His fare, neighbour Mr Kim Miller, fought the blaze with a fire extinguisher and a garden hose.
Two fire appliances from St Albans brought the fire under control while the Wolfe-Robinsons spent the remainder of the night with Mrs Miller.
Due to smoke damage the family are still unable to go back to their home and have moved to a hotel while cleaning and repair work takes place.
The family said: "We would like to thank Mr Kingham and Mr Miller for their brave and prompt action, as well as Mrs Miller or sheltering and caring for us and St Albans fire service for their efficient and timely work.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 3 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 4 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 5 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 6 Victorian street theatre coming to St Albans city centre this Christmas with classic Dickensian tale
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 10 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans