Family mark anniversary
PUBLISHED: 12:26 10 April 2008 | UPDATED: 13:08 06 May 2010
THE FAMILY of a young woman who died after mistakenly biting into a chocolate containing a nut to which she was allergic, have raised nearly £4,000 in her memory 10 years after the tragedy. Katherine Baker, aged 20, suffered an anaphylactic shock and died
THE FAMILY of a young woman who died after mistakenly biting into a chocolate containing a nut to which she was allergic, have raised nearly £4,000 in her memory 10 years after the tragedy.
Katherine Baker, aged 20, suffered an anaphylactic shock and died in Sainsbury's store in St Albans was trying to obtain the life-saving antidote from the Boots pharmacy there.
To mark the anniversary of her death her family and close friends organised a charity quiz night and auction at Townsend Tennis and Bowls Club in Waverly Road, St Albans, and raised more than £3,800 for the Anaphylaxis Campaign.
Katherine's brother, Robert, was the quiz master and auctioneer for the night.
The money will fund courses for 17 to 18-year-old allergy sufferers who are about to leave home for university and become exposed to new conditions and environments. These young people are considered most at risk.
The bowls club donated the venue for free as Katherine had been a member and her father, Philip, has also been a member for nearly 50 years. Sainsbury's also showed their support by providing £200 worth of vouchers to pay for the ploughmans supper laid on for the 80 guests who attended.
Katherine's mother, Pamela, said: ''I cannot believe the fantastic support we have received from local and national companies, as well as from friends. Even people who knew Katherine from school have sent donations.''
To contact the Anaphylaxis Campaign, phone 01252 546100.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.