Factory fire delays twin-bin roll-out
THE WHEELS have come off deliveries of new wheeled bins in the district after an incident at the manufacturer s factory. A fire at the building in Leicester has pushed back delivery estimates by a fortnight, and the first dispatch of the black wheeled bin
THE WHEELS have come off deliveries of new wheeled bins in the district after an incident at the manufacturer's factory.
A fire at the building in Leicester has pushed back delivery estimates by a fortnight, and the first dispatch of the black wheeled bins will now be next Monday.
But Cllr Robert Donald, leader of the council, said the delay would not affect the completion of the project, which is scheduled to finish by the end of November. He added: "I am confident that the council will be able to make up for lost time, and I do not expect this to affect the improvement of our household recycling rates which have already increased considerably in 2008 to over 40 per cent."
The twin-bin service will replace the refuse sack collection system and includes one black wheeled bin for landfill waste, and one green wheeled bin for compostable green waste such as garden cuttings, cardboard, vegetable scraps and cooked food. The delay applies only to the black bins, and many of the green ones have already been delivered.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden residents will be the first to receive black wheeled bins between Monday and October 10, and details of delivery dates for other areas in the district can be found at www.recyclingforapremier.com
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'