Facebook mums clean up with St Albans tea towel
- Credit: Archant
A group of savvy St Albans mums raised more than £1,000 for charity as a result of an idea posted on Facebook.
The well known ‘St Albans Mums’ group (SAMS), which boasts nearly 5,000 members, collaborated to produce and buy a tongue-in-cheek tea towel, raising £1,090.
The ‘SAMS’ tea towel was born after a discussion on a post, and features infamous quotes from the group.
Since it began in November, the 250 tea towels have raised valuable funds for Homestart, which supports young families in the area.
The amount raised is enough to fund a family for an entire year.
Helen Burridge, who helped organise the fundraiser, said: “I myself was supported by Homestart when I had severe post-natal depression four years ago, and I’m so pleased this many have been sold.
“What started as a silly discussion on Facebook has taken root and caused an actual positive tangible result.”
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 6 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 7 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 8 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 9 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 10 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
She added: “There are still towels available to purchase but there won’t be any more runs in the foreseeable future.”
The original tea towels were sold over Facebook but the remaining few can still be found in Raindrops and Roses, The Calling Cobbler, and The Courtyard Café in St Albans while stocks last.