Explosion brings traffic chaos to St Albans city centre
AN EXPLOSION in a St Albans street caused homes to be evacuated, roads to be closed and traffic chaos in the city on Saturday. The blast, which police are now describing as a chemical reaction happened in a steel bin, Police were alerted at around 11.4
AN EXPLOSION in a St Albans street caused homes to be evacuated, roads to be closed and traffic chaos in the city on Saturday.
The blast, which police are now describing as a "chemical reaction" happened in a steel bin,
Police were alerted at around 11.45am after the bin exploded at the back of a house in Lattimore Road.
An army disposal squad was called out in case there were further devices but no others were found. Police said it was unclear what caused the explosion but it might have been caused by a number of chemicals put in the bin which reacted to each other.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesperson said no-one was injured but the contents of the bin were being examined as part of an investigation to determine the exact cause.
Victoria Street and the surrounding streets were re-opened to traffic and pedestrians around 6pm.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre