Eviction order sought for St Albans traveller camp
- Credit: Archant
An eviction order has moved on travellers who were camped in St Albans today (June 15).
The caravans appeared about two weeks ago on Roestock Lane in Colney Heath, which is a Hertfordshire county council (HCC) road.
It served them a notice on June 9 but the travellers have still not left, so the council went to magistrates court to obtain an eviction order.
St Albans district Cllr Chris Brazier believes the camp relocated from South Mimms: “I honestly think we have to think about a change in the law, because all we are doing is pushing the problem around to another council.
“The law should be to seize the caravans.”
You may also want to watch:
He has been receiving daily complaints from residents since the camp set up and estimates every time a site is relocated it costs the council about £4,000.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'