Escape from burning car
TWO men had a narrow escape this morning when their Renault car burst into flames. The car – believed to have been suffering mechanical problems – came to a halt outside a house in Common Lane, Harpenden, just before 8am this morning. A neighbour noticed
TWO men had a narrow escape this morning when their Renault car burst into flames.
The car - believed to have been suffering mechanical problems - came to a halt outside a house in Common Lane, Harpenden, just before 8am this morning.
A neighbour noticed it was smouldering under the bonnet shortly before it burst into flames.
Mark Empson, who lives nearby, said: "I was woken by the explosion and saw two men struggling to get out of the car. My neighbours were already on the scene trying to help but the men were OK though visibly shaken."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Empson recorded the events with his camera shortly before retained Harpenden firefighters arrived. They dowsed the flames and the fire was out by 8.15am.
Police removed the car and the road was salted.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 5 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 6 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans