Escape from burning car
TWO men had a narrow escape this morning when their Renault car burst into flames. The car – believed to have been suffering mechanical problems – came to a halt outside a house in Common Lane, Harpenden, just before 8am this morning. A neighbour noticed
TWO men had a narrow escape this morning when their Renault car burst into flames.
The car - believed to have been suffering mechanical problems - came to a halt outside a house in Common Lane, Harpenden, just before 8am this morning.
A neighbour noticed it was smouldering under the bonnet shortly before it burst into flames.
Mark Empson, who lives nearby, said: "I was woken by the explosion and saw two men struggling to get out of the car. My neighbours were already on the scene trying to help but the men were OK though visibly shaken."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Empson recorded the events with his camera shortly before retained Harpenden firefighters arrived. They dowsed the flames and the fire was out by 8.15am.
Police removed the car and the road was salted.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall