Gas escape causes emergency road closure near Harpenden town centre
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
An emergency road closure has been enacted near to Harpenden town centre and gas engineers have been called in.
Milton Road has been shut at the junction with Shakespeare Road while gas company Cadent treat a gas escape.
Traffic lights have also been erected on Crabtree Lane while Cadent carry out urgent gas repairs.
A Cadent spokesperson said: “Our engineers have completed repairs on a gas main in Milton Road in Harpenden.
“Contractors will now reinstate the road prior to it reopening. Reinstatement takes time as it is a multi-stage process and it must be allowed to set before the road can reopen. Currently it’s hoped the road will reopen in the next couple of days.
You may also want to watch:
“We are also dealing with another gas escape in Crabtree Lane and our engineers are currently excavating as they work to locate and repair the leak.
“Temporary traffic lights are being used to enable this work to be done safely and effectively.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 6 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Property Secrets: St Albans Green councillor Simon Grover
- 9 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 10 Youngsters star in Watford win much to delight of St Albans City boss Ian Allinson
“We’re sorry for any inconvenience this work is causing and we’ll do all we can to complete our work as soon as possible.
“The work must be done to help ensure safe and reliable gas supplies for cooking and heating are maintained to properties in the area.”