Electric car charging at St Albans City Station
- Credit: Archant
DRIVERS of electric cars will now be able to use new charging points at St Albans train station.
First Capital Connect (FCC) has installed two Charge & Go power points in Ridgmont Road car park as part of a green initiative to reduce the carbon footprint of passengers.
To use the system, customers must register with operators Source East for an access card which costs £10 per year, and hold valid car park tickets. The train operator paid for half the £27,000 installation cost for charging points at three stations, while the rest was met by the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles initiative.
FCC projects director Ian Duncan-Santiago said: “We are delighted to have installed electric car charging points at three stations on our network as part of our commitment to reducing the carbon footprint of our passengers.
“Charge & Go is a fantastic scheme that complements the greenest form of public transport – electric trains.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only will our passengers be able to leave their car to charge while they’re at work or enjoying a day in town, we’ll discount their parking ticket if it’s an annual season ticket and even pay for their electricity.”
Endorsing the scheme, St Albans Green Party spokesman Jack Easton said: “We welcome every move towards reducing St Albans carbon emissions and are pleased that the train operator is doing its bit to help.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 5 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 8 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 9 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works