Elderly Woman Rescued From St Albans House Fire
TWO brave young men saved an elderly woman s life when they rescued her from a fire engulfing her home yesterday (Sunday). The blaze broke out in the oven of the property in Folly Lane, St Albans, at around midday and it quickly tore through the kitchen a
TWO brave young men saved an elderly woman's life when they rescued her from a fire engulfing her home yesterday (Sunday).
The blaze broke out in the oven of the property in Folly Lane, St Albans, at around midday and it quickly tore through the kitchen and the hallway, filling the entire house with smoke.
The elderly male occupant escaped the fire with his dog through the front door but his wife was dragged to safety by their 23-year-old next-door neighbour and his friend before the arrival of firefighters.
Watch commander Paul Farrow said: "Undoubtedly these two lads saved her life. They just ran in wearing jeans and a t-shirt, risking serious injury. If they hadn't have been there the lady would have died."
He said the flames were leaping out of the back door on their arrival and smoke was even seeping out between the roof tiles.
Three fire crews were called out and firefighters went into the property wearing breathing apparatus to put out the blaze which has left the house uninhabitable.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 3 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 4 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 5 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 9 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 10 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
The woman sustained some burns and was conveyed to hospital with her husband.
More information to follow