Elderly Woman Rescued From St Albans House Fire
TWO brave young men saved an elderly woman s life when they rescued her from a fire engulfing her home yesterday (Sunday). The blaze broke out in the oven of the property in Folly Lane, St Albans, at around midday and it quickly tore through the kitchen a
TWO brave young men saved an elderly woman's life when they rescued her from a fire engulfing her home yesterday (Sunday).
The blaze broke out in the oven of the property in Folly Lane, St Albans, at around midday and it quickly tore through the kitchen and the hallway, filling the entire house with smoke.
The elderly male occupant escaped the fire with his dog through the front door but his wife was dragged to safety by their 23-year-old next-door neighbour and his friend before the arrival of firefighters.
Watch commander Paul Farrow said: "Undoubtedly these two lads saved her life. They just ran in wearing jeans and a t-shirt, risking serious injury. If they hadn't have been there the lady would have died."
You may also want to watch:
He said the flames were leaping out of the back door on their arrival and smoke was even seeping out between the roof tiles.
Three fire crews were called out and firefighters went into the property wearing breathing apparatus to put out the blaze which has left the house uninhabitable.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 3 Shortages crisis hits district
- 4 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Forging ahead for hospice care
- 9 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
The woman sustained some burns and was conveyed to hospital with her husband.
More information to follow