Elderly Woman Rescued From St Albans House Fire
TWO brave young men saved an elderly woman s life when they rescued her from a fire engulfing her home yesterday (Sunday). The blaze broke out in the oven of the property in Folly Lane, St Albans, at around midday and it quickly tore through the kitchen a
TWO brave young men saved an elderly woman's life when they rescued her from a fire engulfing her home yesterday (Sunday).
The blaze broke out in the oven of the property in Folly Lane, St Albans, at around midday and it quickly tore through the kitchen and the hallway, filling the entire house with smoke.
The elderly male occupant escaped the fire with his dog through the front door but his wife was dragged to safety by their 23-year-old next-door neighbour and his friend before the arrival of firefighters.
Watch commander Paul Farrow said: "Undoubtedly these two lads saved her life. They just ran in wearing jeans and a t-shirt, risking serious injury. If they hadn't have been there the lady would have died."
He said the flames were leaping out of the back door on their arrival and smoke was even seeping out between the roof tiles.
Three fire crews were called out and firefighters went into the property wearing breathing apparatus to put out the blaze which has left the house uninhabitable.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 5 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
The woman sustained some burns and was conveyed to hospital with her husband.
More information to follow