Elderly cyclist fighting for his life following accident - Update
AN 82-year-old cyclist was airlifted to hospital with life threatening injuries after he was involved in a collision with a motorcycle yesterday afternoon (Monday). The accident happened on Hatfield Road, near the Smallford campus of Oaklands College, at
AN 82-year-old cyclist was airlifted to hospital with life threatening injuries after he was involved in a collision with a motorcycle yesterday afternoon (Monday).
The accident happened on Hatfield Road, near the Smallford campus of Oaklands College, at around 4.30pm as the elderly man pushed his cycle across the road.
Ambulance crews from Harpenden, St Albans and Stevenage went to the scene along with an air ambulance, which landed in a field opposite the Alban Retail Park.
Firefighters cut a hole in the surrounding fence to enable the air ambulance crew quick and easy access to the patient who was then conveyed to a London hospital for treatment. He remains in a critical condition.
You may also want to watch:
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson, who attended the scene, said: "The pedal cyclist sustained life threatening injuries following the collision. Land paramedics and a doctor from the air ambulance used advanced skills at the scene before he was flown to the Royal London hospital in Whitechapel."
The 17-year-old motorcyclist from Borehamwood, who was riding a white Triumph Daytona, received minor injuries and was taken to Lister Hospital in Stevenage but was discharged last night.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
The busy stretch of road was closed for around four hours while the accident was cleared and investigations took place.
Police are now appealing for witnesses to the accident to come forward and call 0845 33 00 222.
Traffic incident investigator, PC Kevin Sloan, said: “We would like to speak to anyone who witnessed the incident itself – or who may have seen the motorcyclist and cyclist immediately prior to the incident.
"Any information, however insignificant you think it is, could prove vital to our investigation.”