Young Masterchefs in the making at St Albans secondary school
STUDENTS at a secondary school put their culinary skills to the test in a live cooking competition.
The ‘On Your marks, Get Set, Cook!’ event at Sandringham School in St Albans saw two teams of two pupils and two teachers go head-to-head to create the tastiest, healthiest dish possibly from a selection of mystery ingredients including fresh peppers, natural yoghurt and Chinese spices.
The red team with pupils Grace Hynds and Grey Moseley, along with their head of year Mr Coy, made the winning meal.
The competition was organised by professional chef Darren Tinkler from Chartwell’s, the school’s catering company of eight years, and is part of its ‘Putting Fun Back Into Food’ programme.
Darren said: “It is surprisingly easy to be a creative and healthy cook, even at the age of 11 and 13 and today’s competition has proved this.
You may also want to watch:
“Children love learning cookery skills – it gives them the opportunity to use their hands and get messy – and the live audience makes the whole experience more exciting and heightens pupils’ sense of achievement. All of the pupils seemed to have lots of fun but, perhaps more importantly, went away with some hands-on cookery skills as well as more practical knowledge about healthy eating and nutrition; it was a fantastic day.”
Headteacher Alan Gray said: “It was a real privilege to have the Eat, Learn, Live team from Chartwells in to entertain students and provide a really important message about the importance of healthy eating.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?