Wheatfields Junior School to represent Hertfordshire in county speed stacking
- Credit: Archant
Teams of slick speed stackers from a St Albans junior school have won the right to represent Herts at a county championship.
Wheatfields Junior School overcame 14 other St Albans-based competitors in events split between boys and girls held at Garden Fields school on February 9, 2016.
Speed stacking is an individual and team sport that involves stacking specialised plastic cups in specific sequences in as little time as possible. There was individual success for Ben Bloomfield who won Gold in the 3:3:3 and 3:6:3 races and Laura Holliday, who matched that feat in the girls competition.
To top off the day, both girls and boys teams roared their way to victory in the relay races. The boys relay gold medal winners were Ben Bloomfield, Jacob Billyack Cooper, Mario Antona and Daniel McKinstry and the winning relay girls were Laura Holliday, Rebecca Cray, Tori-Anna Malham and Marilee Raath.
Wheatfields headteacher Lyndon Evans said: “It really is a fantastic achievement. We have always tried to give the children as much chance as possible to take part in sport.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m proud of how they have gone about everything and wish them all the best of luck in the next round.”
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public