Vapors frontman at Harpenden school’s prefects week
- Credit: Archant
Imagination ran riot late last year when senior prefects at a Harpenden secondary school set about raising money for three charities.
And the result of Senior Prefects Week of Fun (SPWOF) at St George’s School in Sun Lane resulted in £4,746 being raised for three charities.
The annual event sees senior prefects organise a week of fun events to raise money for charity with each of the school houses holding a different event at lunchtime for students to come and watch.
Among the highlights was Goodard House with its Academy Awards of Teaching entitled the TOSCARS and Watts House with its themed musical extravaganza Wattstock - a remake of the 1969 Woodstock Festival.
School captains, deputy school captains and boarding captains finished off the week with a Top of the Pops-style event in which each prefect team performed a dance from their houses’ decade, with guest appearances from many teachers including headmaster Raymond McGovern
You may also want to watch:
There was also a surprise performance from David Fenton, former member of The Vapours, with a performance of the group’s hit single Turning Japanese.
The money was raised in aid of Rennie Grove Hospice Care, Make a Wish Foundation and Unicef.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 3 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 4 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 5 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 6 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 7 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 8 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 9 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 10 Prove you’ve had vaccine, say a third of St Albans office workers
Mr McGovern said that the event typified the outstanding community spirit of the school and provided an excellent opportunity for students to lead by example.