Vapors frontman at Harpenden school’s prefects week
- Credit: Archant
Imagination ran riot late last year when senior prefects at a Harpenden secondary school set about raising money for three charities.
And the result of Senior Prefects Week of Fun (SPWOF) at St George’s School in Sun Lane resulted in £4,746 being raised for three charities.
The annual event sees senior prefects organise a week of fun events to raise money for charity with each of the school houses holding a different event at lunchtime for students to come and watch.
Among the highlights was Goodard House with its Academy Awards of Teaching entitled the TOSCARS and Watts House with its themed musical extravaganza Wattstock - a remake of the 1969 Woodstock Festival.
School captains, deputy school captains and boarding captains finished off the week with a Top of the Pops-style event in which each prefect team performed a dance from their houses’ decade, with guest appearances from many teachers including headmaster Raymond McGovern
There was also a surprise performance from David Fenton, former member of The Vapours, with a performance of the group’s hit single Turning Japanese.
The money was raised in aid of Rennie Grove Hospice Care, Make a Wish Foundation and Unicef.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 4 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Return of Harpenden Carnival promises fun for all the family
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
Mr McGovern said that the event typified the outstanding community spirit of the school and provided an excellent opportunity for students to lead by example.