Townsend School, St Albans, opens new sixth form wing
TWO new educational centres have been officially opened at a St Albans secondary school, including state-of-the-art food technology rooms.
Townsend School in High Oaks, recently celebrated completion of its new sixth form and technology centres.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Eileen Harris, joined guests at a ceremony last Wednesday, October 24, to open both refurbished wings.
The technology centre has a large multi-material area, including new ceilings with specialist lighting and flooring.
It also has a new workshop area and refurbished electronics base.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant headteacher Phil Parker, head of post-16 education, said the creation of the technology centre had been on the school’s “wish-list” for many years.
He described it as an unparalleled resource, adding, “subjects such as technology are becoming marginalised and resourced less as the focus in education moves towards the English Baccalaureate subjects”.
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 May 17th: Fighting Cocks landlord overjoyed to welcome customers back
- 3 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 4 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 5 St Albans' Caribbean community launches volcano relief fundraising campaign
- 6 Sustainable markets will top and tail annual St Albans eco-festival
- 7 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 8 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 9 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 10 Ver Valley walking group returns to enjoy the spring countryside
The new post-16 centre contains four dedicated classrooms with interactive whiteboards, private study room, common room with full facilities and a landscaped garden area with seating.
Mr Parker said pupils were using the facilities to the full as they provided a, “home and social space for our older students”.
He added that the sixth form centre would encourage pupils to develop independent study skills.