Townsend School, St Albans, opens new sixth form wing
TWO new educational centres have been officially opened at a St Albans secondary school, including state-of-the-art food technology rooms.
Townsend School in High Oaks, recently celebrated completion of its new sixth form and technology centres.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Eileen Harris, joined guests at a ceremony last Wednesday, October 24, to open both refurbished wings.
The technology centre has a large multi-material area, including new ceilings with specialist lighting and flooring.
It also has a new workshop area and refurbished electronics base.
Assistant headteacher Phil Parker, head of post-16 education, said the creation of the technology centre had been on the school’s “wish-list” for many years.
He described it as an unparalleled resource, adding, “subjects such as technology are becoming marginalised and resourced less as the focus in education moves towards the English Baccalaureate subjects”.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 4 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 5 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 6 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
- 9 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 10 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
The new post-16 centre contains four dedicated classrooms with interactive whiteboards, private study room, common room with full facilities and a landscaped garden area with seating.
Mr Parker said pupils were using the facilities to the full as they provided a, “home and social space for our older students”.
He added that the sixth form centre would encourage pupils to develop independent study skills.