Team GB Olympic gold medallist comes to St Albans primary school
- Credit: Archant
Two quick-thinking pupils, who suggested inviting their grandad into school with one of his pupils, struck gold with their school mates.
For Emily and Chloe’s grandad is John Hurst, the current manager and goalkeeping coach of the Gold Medal-winning Olympic GB women’s hockey team.
And when he arrived at Skyswood JMI in Marshalswick where his granddaughters are pupils, he was accompanied by hockey star Hannah MacLeod.
The pair gave the children an insight into life in the Olympic village as well as the chance to get their hands on a real Olympic medal.
Year Five pupil Emily had made wristbands for all the GB hockey team in Rio and they kept them throughout the Olympic tournament which they won with a penalty win over Holland.
You may also want to watch:
Emily and Chloe, along with many other Skyswood pupils, are members of the St Albans Hockey Club which provides training on Sunday mornings at Oaklands College.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 9 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space