Team GB Olympic gold medallist comes to St Albans primary school
- Credit: Archant
Two quick-thinking pupils, who suggested inviting their grandad into school with one of his pupils, struck gold with their school mates.
For Emily and Chloe’s grandad is John Hurst, the current manager and goalkeeping coach of the Gold Medal-winning Olympic GB women’s hockey team.
And when he arrived at Skyswood JMI in Marshalswick where his granddaughters are pupils, he was accompanied by hockey star Hannah MacLeod.
The pair gave the children an insight into life in the Olympic village as well as the chance to get their hands on a real Olympic medal.
Year Five pupil Emily had made wristbands for all the GB hockey team in Rio and they kept them throughout the Olympic tournament which they won with a penalty win over Holland.
You may also want to watch:
Emily and Chloe, along with many other Skyswood pupils, are members of the St Albans Hockey Club which provides training on Sunday mornings at Oaklands College.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 3 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 4 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 5 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans