Teaching awards for Sandringham School, St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A local school has won not one but two national teaching awards, beating thousands to the title.
Sandra Stellon and the arts faculty at Sandringham School in St Albans have won silver teaching awards, putting them in the running for grabbing gold too.
Sandra, who is a teaching assistant at the school, has won the silver award for Teaching Assistant of the Year at the Pearson Teaching Awards.
Alan Gray, Sandringham’s headteacher, said: “Her care, attention, kindness, understanding, empathy and being an advocate for her students has made her indispensible to pupils, parents and teachers.”
The school’s arts faculty also won a silver teaching award for Outstanding School Team.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gray said: “When they came round to look at the school, they couldn’t believe how unified they all were. The team all have the common goal of bringing out the best of the arts.”
A silver award for each category is given for each region of the country with the overall winner given the golden award.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 6 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
Alan added: “I would just like to say, on behalf of the school, parents and pupils, that we would like thank them so much for doing what they do. Well done, we are very proud.”
Overall winners will be announced in October but June will see the teachers join fellow winners at the House of Commons for a celebratory tea.
There are 12 categories, with 12 gold awards up for grabs but all is kept secret until the big unveiling in October.
It’s your last chance to nominate for the Herts Advertiser School Awards 2014 - see page 25 for details.