Teachers’ strike shuts a dozen schools in St Albans district
- Credit: © Royalty-Free/CORBIS
A number of schools closed this morning in the St Albans district due a national teachers’ strike sparked by disputes over pay, pensions and working conditions.
Fleetville Infant and Nursery and JM is the only school to announce it has fully closed today.
Herts County council are advising parents to check their website to stay updated with the latest closures.
Chris Hayward, cabinet member for enterprise, education and skills, said: “While we recognise that there are strongly held feelings on both sides of this national dispute, strike action in a key public service like this can only be to the detriment of Hertfordshire’s children and their parents.
“We hope that there is a speedy resolution to this dispute in the interests of all concerned. The decision to stay open or to close is for individual school headteachers and governors to make.
You may also want to watch:
“We have urged as many schools as possible to remain open as long as it is safe to do so, but we do not have any authority to compel them to stay open, whether they are community schools, free schools or academies.
“If school leaders decide to close their doors, we have advised them to inform parents and carers as soon as possible in advance, so that they can make alternative arrangements for their children.”
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
To check the closures visit https://www.imodus.com/summary.aspx?company=99
Fleetville Infant and Nursery and JM
Partially closed schools:
Aboyne Lodge Primary
Margaret Wix Primary
Sir John Lawes
Beech Hyde Primary
St Albans Girls