Teachers’ strike shuts a dozen schools in St Albans district
- Credit: © Royalty-Free/CORBIS
A number of schools closed this morning in the St Albans district due a national teachers’ strike sparked by disputes over pay, pensions and working conditions.
Fleetville Infant and Nursery and JM is the only school to announce it has fully closed today.
Herts County council are advising parents to check their website to stay updated with the latest closures.
Chris Hayward, cabinet member for enterprise, education and skills, said: “While we recognise that there are strongly held feelings on both sides of this national dispute, strike action in a key public service like this can only be to the detriment of Hertfordshire’s children and their parents.
“We hope that there is a speedy resolution to this dispute in the interests of all concerned. The decision to stay open or to close is for individual school headteachers and governors to make.
“We have urged as many schools as possible to remain open as long as it is safe to do so, but we do not have any authority to compel them to stay open, whether they are community schools, free schools or academies.
“If school leaders decide to close their doors, we have advised them to inform parents and carers as soon as possible in advance, so that they can make alternative arrangements for their children.”
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
To check the closures visit https://www.imodus.com/summary.aspx?company=99
Fleetville Infant and Nursery and JM
Partially closed schools:
Aboyne Lodge Primary
Margaret Wix Primary
Sir John Lawes
Beech Hyde Primary
St Albans Girls