Teachers’ strike shuts a dozen schools in St Albans district
- Credit: © Royalty-Free/CORBIS
A number of schools closed this morning in the St Albans district due a national teachers’ strike sparked by disputes over pay, pensions and working conditions.
Fleetville Infant and Nursery and JM is the only school to announce it has fully closed today.
Herts County council are advising parents to check their website to stay updated with the latest closures.
Chris Hayward, cabinet member for enterprise, education and skills, said: “While we recognise that there are strongly held feelings on both sides of this national dispute, strike action in a key public service like this can only be to the detriment of Hertfordshire’s children and their parents.
“We hope that there is a speedy resolution to this dispute in the interests of all concerned. The decision to stay open or to close is for individual school headteachers and governors to make.
You may also want to watch:
“We have urged as many schools as possible to remain open as long as it is safe to do so, but we do not have any authority to compel them to stay open, whether they are community schools, free schools or academies.
“If school leaders decide to close their doors, we have advised them to inform parents and carers as soon as possible in advance, so that they can make alternative arrangements for their children.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 6 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
To check the closures visit https://www.imodus.com/summary.aspx?company=99
Fleetville Infant and Nursery and JM
Partially closed schools:
Aboyne Lodge Primary
Margaret Wix Primary
Sir John Lawes
Beech Hyde Primary
St Albans Girls