London Colney pupil meets the mayor after designing democracy poster
- Credit: Archant
A competition winner at a London Colney primary school got to meet the Mayor of St Albans and have a tour around the district council offices.
Dylan Chisholm, a Year 5 pupil at St Bernadette Catholic Primary School, won a competition to design and make a poster about St Albans district council.
As a prize, Dylan and five of his friends were invited to the Civic Centre for tea with Mayor Mohammad Iqbal Zia on Friday, March 23.
School secretary Fiona Fitzgerald said: “They had to design a poster about what St Albans council offices do for local democracy week, and one of our children won.
“They had a lovely time. They met the Mayor’s guard and they got to try on ceremonial robes and go into the council hall where they had tea and cakes with him.”
You may also want to watch:
Local Democracy Week was held in October last year to teach pupils how democracy works in practice, and primary school children were invited to enter the competition.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park