St Albans’ Verulam School pupils building for the future
- Credit: Archant
A CONFERENCE at a St Albans secondary school recently tested pupils’ teamwork, imagination and problem-solving abilities.
Verulam School in Brampton Road hosted a business enterprise conference, with representatives from a variety of professions giving up their day – including a divorce lawyer – to share their knowledge with Year 9 pupils.
Borras Construction had students competing to construct lighthouses using given materials, cooperation and lots of innovation.
Pupils Hal Duggan, Lewis Liming and Barney Twine explained that were definitely, “some unique and extraordinary tower designs.”
The Bricket Wood-based Building Research Establishment (BRE) helped the boys look at the world in a more environmentally friendly way.
You may also want to watch:
Police officers talked about their protocols when dealing with burglaries and firefighters from St Albans Fire Station took the boys to the sports hall where they were given the task of crossing the hall without touching the floor.
Simon Taylor, who has worked at Heinz for 15 years, encouraged students to go wild with their imagination to design an exciting new product and then to do a pitch for it.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
The winners were given a recently released Heinz product.
Divorce lawyer Conrad Adam discussed the ins and outs of difficult decisions his profession faces over finances, property and childcare with the pupils.