St Albans swim team celebrates silver success
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans swim team has won big at this year’s national finals.
Lucy Bell, Milly Stafford, Sarah McGrath, Millie Whittle and Anne-Marie Reid, all 11 and experienced swimmers from St Albans High School for Girls Prep, won silver in the medley relay and came fourth in the freestyle by just 0.1 second.
The girls have been swimming together for several years.
The English Schools Swimming Association (ESSA) national finals pit schools from across the country against one another in a variety of testing heats.
ESSA was established in 1949 and is based on eight divisions. Apart from organising championships, its main function is to promote the teaching of swimming in schools.
You may also want to watch:
Judy Rowe, headmistress at the school, said: “We’re really proud of these girls, who worked so hard to achieve their goals.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre