St Albans students now supplying eggs to restaurant
FRESH from their successful launch of a market stall, students at a St Albans college are now supplying a restaurant with fresh eggs from their farm shop.
The Chicken Run Farm Shop at Oaklands College has gone from strength to strength since it was launched almost two years ago on the Smallford Campus and will now provide eggs for city centre restaurant Kashu on a weekly basis.
The social enterprise project is part of Oaklands’ Landmark programme which helps teenagers with learning difficulties gain important work experience and life skills. Last November the students began running a weekly market stall in the city and the concept behind the scheme has proven to be so popular that it has attracted sponsorship from major pub group, Orchid.
Gels Picciuto, managing director of Kashu, said: “The range of eggs available is diverse and the quality is unparalleled. It is a pleasure to support such a worthwhile local enterprise, helping teenagers gain important work experience and life skills.”
Zoe Hyde, lecturer, said: “We are very excited to be supplying a major restaurant in St Albans with our free-range organic eggs. This project gives so much to the learners and they have really enjoyed running our weekly market stall every Wednesday in St Albans. In the future, we are hoping to expand so we can meet their full weekly order.”
You may also want to watch:
The Chicken Run Farm Shop was a runner up at this year’s Mayor’s Pride Awards for Community Project of the Year.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county