St Albans students now supplying eggs to restaurant
FRESH from their successful launch of a market stall, students at a St Albans college are now supplying a restaurant with fresh eggs from their farm shop.
The Chicken Run Farm Shop at Oaklands College has gone from strength to strength since it was launched almost two years ago on the Smallford Campus and will now provide eggs for city centre restaurant Kashu on a weekly basis.
The social enterprise project is part of Oaklands’ Landmark programme which helps teenagers with learning difficulties gain important work experience and life skills. Last November the students began running a weekly market stall in the city and the concept behind the scheme has proven to be so popular that it has attracted sponsorship from major pub group, Orchid.
Gels Picciuto, managing director of Kashu, said: “The range of eggs available is diverse and the quality is unparalleled. It is a pleasure to support such a worthwhile local enterprise, helping teenagers gain important work experience and life skills.”
Zoe Hyde, lecturer, said: “We are very excited to be supplying a major restaurant in St Albans with our free-range organic eggs. This project gives so much to the learners and they have really enjoyed running our weekly market stall every Wednesday in St Albans. In the future, we are hoping to expand so we can meet their full weekly order.”
You may also want to watch:
The Chicken Run Farm Shop was a runner up at this year’s Mayor’s Pride Awards for Community Project of the Year.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 3 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 4 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 5 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 6 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 7 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 10 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted