St Albans’ St Columba’s College celebrates redeveloped campus
- Credit: Archant
After embarking upon one of its biggest building projects since the 1960s, a St Albans secondary school has officially opened the doors of its redeveloped campus.
St Columba’s College, King Harry Lane, began its £3.5 million construction in July last year, with the hall given a facelift and the school’s central core altered to provide extra space for staff and pupils.
St Albans Mayor Cllr Annie Brewster attended celebrations to officially open the new building.
A spokeswoman for St Columba’s said the reception area had been reconfigured and extended during the construction. Science laboratories were also completely refurbished to provide state-of-the-art facilities.
The redevelopment has provided the school with a modern set of classrooms, offices and purpose-built weights and conditioning room.
The spokeswoman said the building project was complex, both technically and logistically, as it involved working around a 50-year-old structure.
And the redevelopment has won praise from staff and pupils with Brother Denis, registrar, commenting, “They have created a bigger building out of very little space.”
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
Upper sixth student James Delord added: “It makes the school look more modern. Lots of pupils can’t wait to use the weights room.”
The opening ceremony was also attended by the MP for Bournemouth West Conor Burns, a former pupil of St Columba’s, as well as Brother Jose Ignacio Carmona and Brother Robert Croteau, of the New England Province, both from Brothers of the Sacred Heart.