Six St Albans schools make top Sunday Times School Guide shortlist
- Credit: Archant
Six schools across St Albans district have been included in 2021’s Sunday Times School Guide, which singles out the nation’s top secondary schools.
Of the 500 included in the guide, 25 Hertfordshire schools made the list – an impressive five per cent of the total schools. Four of those schools are in St Albans, while two are in Harpenden.
Schools up and down the country were ranked by performance according to their A-level and GCSE results from the summer of 2019.
St George’s School in Harpenden ranked the highest of those included in the list from the district, placing 139th overall. St Albans’ Beaumont School, Sandringham School and St Albans Girls’ School followed, ranking 170th, 171st and 172nd respectively. Harpenden’s Roundwood Park School and Loreto College in St Albans also made the list, placing 276th and 389th.
Cabinet member for education, libraries and localism, Cllr Terry Douris said: “Hertfordshire has some of the best education facilities in the UK, so these results are testament to the hard work of school leaders, teachers, support staff, governing bodies and pupils, huge congratulations to them all.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to take this opportunity to applaud the fantastic efforts of all our schools who work so hard to ensure each child reaches their potential. We are proud of their dedication and achievements, particularly during this very challenging year.”
Also published in the Schools Guide were the country’s top 250 state primary schools, ranked by the aggregated average scaled scores in reading, grammar and maths from the 2019 SATS.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 5 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 St Albans MP vows to fight developer 'free for all' to protect Herts Green Belt
- 8 Pupils' brighter walk to school thanks to developer
- 9 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 10 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
Hertfordshire had eight schools listed, including Wood End School in Harpenden, which came in 93rd place.
Across Hertfordshire, there are 530 maintained schools, consisting of 80 secondary, 403 primary, 14 nursery and 25 special schools, as well as eight education support centres.
The results were published in the 28th edition of The Sunday Times Schools Guide, identifying the 2,000 highest-achieving state and independent schools in the UK, ranked by their most recent examination results.
The full report can be accessed online by visiting The Times’ website.