St Albans School student awarded prestigious engineering scholarship
- Credit: Archant
A student from St Albans says he believes he can go on to achieve “great things” after winning a prestigious engineering scholarship.
St Albans School student Adam Thorpe, 18, was named among the brightest young engineering prospects in the country after the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IME) awarded him a scholarship worth £2,000 each year toward his degree at the University of Nottingham.
Adam said: “I am ecstatic to have been recognised by such a credible institution, and this opportunity has given me confidence and the belief that I can achieve great things in my career.
“I hope the scholarship acts as a springboard for my future endeavours in industry. Throughout my degree at the University of Nottingham I look forward to being challenged and being able to apply my knowledge to impact the projects I work on during my year in industry.”
Professor Richard Folkson, president of the IME, said: “Adam has proven himself to be amongst the most promising young engineers and I was delighted to present him with his award.
You may also want to watch:
“As the UK continues to face a huge skills crisis when it comes to young engineers, it’s a pleasure to see young people already making a difference in the field.
“Engineers are of great importance. We need to continue to highlight the need for science and engineering in the UK and recognise its importance to the economy.”
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan