St Albans school searches for buried time capsule
TIME is ticking for a school in its search for a time capsule buried in its grounds back in the 1970s.
Searches have failed to locate the time capsule which is thought to have been buried at Skyswood Primary in Marshalswick during the Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977 and the school is now calling on all ex-pupils to help them locate it in time for its 50th anniversary celebrations.
Former pupil Robert Merryfield thinks the capsule was buried near the school entrance from Hazlemere Road, but he was unable to find it with a metal detector.
Headteacher Bob Bridle said: “We’d really like to hear from any former pupils who might remember where the 1977 capsule was buried.
“The race is on to find the capsule. We’re celebrating our 50th anniversary in conjunction with our annual summer fair on Saturday, July 10, and we’re planning to dig up the old capsule and replace it with a new one. It’s going to be a fantastic day. It will be a great chance for former pupils to reminisce and an opportunity to catch up with old friends. We’re hoping that lots of ex-pupils together with our current students and their families will be able to attend.”
You may also want to watch:
The summer fair and anniversary celebrations, which take place between 4pm and 9pm, will include tours of the school where each classroom will be decorated to represent a different decade, memorabilia on display including photos of school trips to the Isle of Wight and cine films taken by former headmaster Mr Porter, a licensed bar, hog roast, music and various stalls.
More than 30 former teachers from the Chandlers Road school have already confirmed that they will be attending the day.
- 1 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
For more details visit www.skyswood.herts.sch.uk or join the Skyswood School Appreciation Society group on Facebook where there are 210 ex-pupils and up to date information on the 50th Anniversary celebrations.
Anyone who knows the whereabouts of the time capsule should call the school ASAP on 01727 854164.