St Albans school hops into the record books
- Credit: Archant
Families at an inner city school jumped to it to smash a world record for the largest number of people simultaneously hopping on one leg.
They may have looked hopping mad as they gathered at Alban City School in Hatfield Road, but thanks to 490 people turning up, the children and parents hopped their way to a Guinness World Record – which has now been officially confirmed.
Head teacher Janet Goddard said: “We are extremely pleased that the school has achieved a Guinness World Record and it was a really good day to bring the community together.
“It was a cold day but everyone was really enthusiastic. Everybody knows now and we have told the children who were really pleased too.
“We are all really happy and we have been celebrating!”
You may also want to watch:
The previous record was held by a group in Japan who managed 376 people.
To celebrate the news after the event on Saturday, March 21, pupils were treated to an after-school party recently.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
Organiser and PTA member, Louise Restell, who was quietly confident the school had clinched the title, said: “We are thrilled we have officially broken the world record!
“We want thank everyone again who came and took part.
“We had a little celebration for the children, who all seemed very excited, although I’m not sure if that was for getting the record or for the ice lollies!”
Hoppers enjoyed extra activities following the event including a barbecue, Easter Egg Hunt, Spot the Bunny, a chocolate tombola, face painting and a cake stall.