St Albans school hops into the record books
- Credit: Archant
Families at an inner city school jumped to it to smash a world record for the largest number of people simultaneously hopping on one leg.
They may have looked hopping mad as they gathered at Alban City School in Hatfield Road, but thanks to 490 people turning up, the children and parents hopped their way to a Guinness World Record – which has now been officially confirmed.
Head teacher Janet Goddard said: “We are extremely pleased that the school has achieved a Guinness World Record and it was a really good day to bring the community together.
“It was a cold day but everyone was really enthusiastic. Everybody knows now and we have told the children who were really pleased too.
“We are all really happy and we have been celebrating!”
You may also want to watch:
The previous record was held by a group in Japan who managed 376 people.
To celebrate the news after the event on Saturday, March 21, pupils were treated to an after-school party recently.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 10 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
Organiser and PTA member, Louise Restell, who was quietly confident the school had clinched the title, said: “We are thrilled we have officially broken the world record!
“We want thank everyone again who came and took part.
“We had a little celebration for the children, who all seemed very excited, although I’m not sure if that was for getting the record or for the ice lollies!”
Hoppers enjoyed extra activities following the event including a barbecue, Easter Egg Hunt, Spot the Bunny, a chocolate tombola, face painting and a cake stall.