St Albans school hops into the record books
- Credit: Archant
Families at an inner city school jumped to it to smash a world record for the largest number of people simultaneously hopping on one leg.
They may have looked hopping mad as they gathered at Alban City School in Hatfield Road, but thanks to 490 people turning up, the children and parents hopped their way to a Guinness World Record – which has now been officially confirmed.
Head teacher Janet Goddard said: “We are extremely pleased that the school has achieved a Guinness World Record and it was a really good day to bring the community together.
“It was a cold day but everyone was really enthusiastic. Everybody knows now and we have told the children who were really pleased too.
“We are all really happy and we have been celebrating!”
The previous record was held by a group in Japan who managed 376 people.
To celebrate the news after the event on Saturday, March 21, pupils were treated to an after-school party recently.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 5 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 6 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 9 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 10 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
Organiser and PTA member, Louise Restell, who was quietly confident the school had clinched the title, said: “We are thrilled we have officially broken the world record!
“We want thank everyone again who came and took part.
“We had a little celebration for the children, who all seemed very excited, although I’m not sure if that was for getting the record or for the ice lollies!”
Hoppers enjoyed extra activities following the event including a barbecue, Easter Egg Hunt, Spot the Bunny, a chocolate tombola, face painting and a cake stall.