St Albans pupils were flying high after helicopter trip
- Credit: Archant
A bird’s eye view of St Albans was enjoyed by students at a local secondary school after a visit from a Gazelle Army Corp helicopter.
Students from Samuel Ryder Academy (SRA) were invited to take flight in the helicopter flown by Captain Dave Macklin which landed on the playing field.
The Vicar of St Luke’s, the Rev Mark Slater, had also been due to go up in the helicopter to bless the school and the parish from above but time was not on his side and he will now fly at a later date.
The visit was arranged with the help of one of the SRA primary school parents who was in the army at Sandhurst and was part of a careers programme for secondary students in Year 11 onwards.
The event also tied in with the work that the primary students had been doing about helicopters the week before as part of National Science Week.
Year 11 student, Robert Nae, who listened to a careers talk given by Capt Macklin and also went up in the helicopter said:
“The talk gave a clear insight into the various roles and career paths available within the Army Air Corps and Captain Macklin provided personal experiences to bring his career to life.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
“The helicopter flight was amazing! I think it was incredible the way the helicopter travelled so far in such a short space of time. The ride was smooth. A truly unforgettable experience.”