St Albans pupil’s design wins national competition
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans pupil’s design was chosen out of hundreds of entries as the winner of a national competition.
Orla Connelly, 11, from Loreto College, was asked to find an innovative solution to a major world problem as part of the AECOM Imagineers competition.
In response, she designed a pipeline to transport water from wet to dry countries in an attempt to combat water shortage.
Associate director of transportation at AECOM’s St Albans office, Karen Britton, said: “We are encouraging children to develop a passion for subjects in science, technology, engineering and math at an early stage and making the prospect of working for a company like AECOM one that is within reach, regardless of their backgrounds.”
Orla received her prize, a framed copy of the technical drawing of her pipeline, at an awards ceremony held at Loreto College earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Following its huge success, AECOM intend to run its Imagineers competition again in 2019.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 9 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game