St Albans pupil’s design wins national competition
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans pupil’s design was chosen out of hundreds of entries as the winner of a national competition.
Orla Connelly, 11, from Loreto College, was asked to find an innovative solution to a major world problem as part of the AECOM Imagineers competition.
In response, she designed a pipeline to transport water from wet to dry countries in an attempt to combat water shortage.
Associate director of transportation at AECOM’s St Albans office, Karen Britton, said: “We are encouraging children to develop a passion for subjects in science, technology, engineering and math at an early stage and making the prospect of working for a company like AECOM one that is within reach, regardless of their backgrounds.”
Orla received her prize, a framed copy of the technical drawing of her pipeline, at an awards ceremony held at Loreto College earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Following its huge success, AECOM intend to run its Imagineers competition again in 2019.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall