St Albans’ Oaklands College opens new basketball centre
- Credit: Photo supplied
PATIENCE has paid off for a coach in St Albans who recently celebrated the first basketball game in Oaklands College’s new state-of-the-art sports hall.
Oaklands Boys’ Basketball Academy played its first game of the season in the sports hall, winning against Hackney Community College 72-59 at the Smallford Campus, Hatfield Road.
Oaklands College coach Michael Ball said: “I have waited over 20 years to be able to train elite players in an elite environment.
“Now I can say that it has been well worth the wait and I hope that our students realise how much these facilities will help their development and continue to work hard every day to become the best they can be.”
It is hoped the new sports hall will help students become elite sports men and women.
Basketball Academy captain Ben Lawson, who has just returned from Belgium after being selected for the England U18 squad for the Altia Xmas Tournament, said: “It was a new dawn for us playing our first ever game in these fantastic new facilities. The basketball court, new strength and conditioning gym and video analysis room gives us probably the best facilities in the country.
“I thought we started strong and despite moments when we went away from the game plan it was great to see the team produce when it mattered and pull off our first ever win against Hackney.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
“I am proud that I was a part of the first ever team to play in the new sports hall and hopefully it was the first win of many to come.
“For my own personal development and aspiration to reach my goal of a basketball scholarship to the USA, this is exactly the right place to be.”