St Albans’ Oaklands College centre up for RIBA award
- Credit: Photo supplied
A RECENTLY opened state-of-the-art sports and educational centre in St Albans is one of just 19 new buildings in the east of England shortlisted for a regional architecture award.
Oaklands College’s Discovery Centre at its Smallford Campus, Hatfield Road, has been shortlisted for a 2013 Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Regional Award: East.
The centre, by architects Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, is one of just two new-builds in Herts highlighted for the award. The other is Crowbrook, a residential project in Ware.
It is up against nine projects in Essex, four in Suffolk and two in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.
All shortlisted buildings will be assessed by a regional jury with the winners to be announced at a ceremony on June 12.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for RIBA said regional winners will also be considered for a highly-coveted RIBA National Award in recognition of their architectural excellence on a national platform, to be announced on the same evening.
Oaklands principal Zoe Hancock said: “We are delighted to be nominated for such a highly recognised award, one that recognises ‘good, innovative architecture’.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 8 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
“Our Discovery Centre enables students to learn in a supportive college environment with some of the most up-to-date facilities in the region.”