St Albans district boasts top achieving students
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Some of the best brains in Britain are residing in the St Albans district, according to a study commissioned by the Royal Mail.
The Harpenden postcode AL5 is home to some of the UK’s highest achieving students, coming in the top five for GCSE results and top 10 for A-levels.
The study was carried out by the Centre for Economic and Business Research to celebrate the invention of the postcode, which had its 40th birthday last year.
AL5 came fifth in the GCSE study after achieving an average point score of around 385, just beaten to the top spot by Gerrards Cross, Amersham, Solihull, and Beaconsfield.
The postcode also came seventh in the UK for A-Levels, beating off competition with a top average score of around 860.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Rooney, head of Royal Mail’s address management unit, said: “Royal Mail’s study provides an insight into the academic heartbeat of the nation, as seen through the postcode, to mark the anniversary of the allocation of postcodes to every address in Britain.”
The study’s results are based on figures from 2008/9 to 2012/13.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire