St Albans clubbers raise cash to help local primary school
- Credit: Archant
Generous clubbers have raised £6,000 for a primary school following a drive for donations at a well-known St Albans nightclub.
Club Batchwood presented the impressive sum to pupils at Margaret Wix primary school to help build their new outdoor classroom and reading area.
The money was raised following donations from clubgoers to the Echo Trust, a children’s charity run by the club’s operator The Deltic Group, at many of the venue’s club nights.
Manager Peter Bell said: “We get fantastic support throughout the year from our customers.
“The school has big ambitions and is committed to making learning fun and giving children the best opportunities to learn and develop. My two children are pupils there so I have seen first hand the progress being made.”
Margaret Wix headteacher Damien Johnston thanked Club Batchwood during a school assembly and cheque-giving ceremony.
He said: “The school has worked hard over the last few years to develop reading across the school and at home.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 7 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
“The school has amazing grounds and we would like to continue our drive to create an engaging curriculum with the core skills of reading, speech, language and communication at the centre of this.”