St Albans clubbers raise cash to help local primary school
- Credit: Archant
Generous clubbers have raised £6,000 for a primary school following a drive for donations at a well-known St Albans nightclub.
Club Batchwood presented the impressive sum to pupils at Margaret Wix primary school to help build their new outdoor classroom and reading area.
The money was raised following donations from clubgoers to the Echo Trust, a children’s charity run by the club’s operator The Deltic Group, at many of the venue’s club nights.
Manager Peter Bell said: “We get fantastic support throughout the year from our customers.
“The school has big ambitions and is committed to making learning fun and giving children the best opportunities to learn and develop. My two children are pupils there so I have seen first hand the progress being made.”
You may also want to watch:
Margaret Wix headteacher Damien Johnston thanked Club Batchwood during a school assembly and cheque-giving ceremony.
He said: “The school has worked hard over the last few years to develop reading across the school and at home.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
“The school has amazing grounds and we would like to continue our drive to create an engaging curriculum with the core skills of reading, speech, language and communication at the centre of this.”