St Albans’ Beaumont School rated outstanding in English
INSPECTION service OFSTED has given an outstanding grade to a St Albans secondary school’s English department.
The success of the subject at Beaumont School has been attributed to high quality teaching and a drive to ensure pupils achieve their potential.
The inspector judged achievement to be outstanding with 90 per cent of students obtaining A*to C grades in 2010 in GCSEs, and of these a very high proportion attained the top grades.
Lesson observations showed teachers have excellent subject knowledge, with students enjoying English and responding well to teachers’ high expectations. The inspector also identified the outstanding range of activities organised by staff to enrich the English curriculum and broaden the students’ experiences.
He was impressed, too, with the shared goal of ensuring that students attained highly but also gained an excellent appreciation of English language and literature.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Elizabeth Hitch said: “We are delighted. We believe that success in English is the key to success in all subjects and is one of the reasons that Beaumont students excel. Student success is also exemplified by the high numbers taking A Level English and achieving outstanding results.”
Theresa Proudfoot, head of English, added: “We aim to provide a rich and varied syllabus with a wide range of activities, enabling students of all abilities to fulfil their true potential.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire