Selfridges MD returns to St Albans school to open new tech block
- Credit: Archant
A NEW state-of-the-art building at a girls school which will enhance opportunities for students has been opened by a successful former pupil.
Anne Pitcher, managing director of Selfridges and a former pupil at St Albans High School, conducted the opening ceremony of its new art and technology block.
Former pupils, staff and members of the local community were given a tour of the new building, known as the Jubilee Centre, and saw lessons in action.
Ms Pitcher recalled how she had taken art lessons in a room at the top of a building with very little light and enjoyed ‘sewing’ lessons with not a machine in sight.
Among the guests were the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Eileen Harris, and the newly-appointed High Sheriff of Herts, Fiona Trenchard.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor commented on the impressive design of the building which combines traditional and modern design and includes a rotunda housing a Starbucks-style café.
The new development will provide opportunities for the girls to develop their skills in a wide range of fields including music, drama, art, and design and technology.
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 4 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Seven-up for Devine as Colney Heath reach final of spring cup
- 7 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 8 Colney Heath up for the cup says boss but plan is also to carry form into next year
- 9 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 10 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease