Selfridges MD returns to St Albans school to open new tech block
- Credit: Archant
A NEW state-of-the-art building at a girls school which will enhance opportunities for students has been opened by a successful former pupil.
Anne Pitcher, managing director of Selfridges and a former pupil at St Albans High School, conducted the opening ceremony of its new art and technology block.
Former pupils, staff and members of the local community were given a tour of the new building, known as the Jubilee Centre, and saw lessons in action.
Ms Pitcher recalled how she had taken art lessons in a room at the top of a building with very little light and enjoyed ‘sewing’ lessons with not a machine in sight.
Among the guests were the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Eileen Harris, and the newly-appointed High Sheriff of Herts, Fiona Trenchard.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor commented on the impressive design of the building which combines traditional and modern design and includes a rotunda housing a Starbucks-style café.
The new development will provide opportunities for the girls to develop their skills in a wide range of fields including music, drama, art, and design and technology.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward