Selfridges MD returns to St Albans school to open new tech block
- Credit: Archant
A NEW state-of-the-art building at a girls school which will enhance opportunities for students has been opened by a successful former pupil.
Anne Pitcher, managing director of Selfridges and a former pupil at St Albans High School, conducted the opening ceremony of its new art and technology block.
Former pupils, staff and members of the local community were given a tour of the new building, known as the Jubilee Centre, and saw lessons in action.
Ms Pitcher recalled how she had taken art lessons in a room at the top of a building with very little light and enjoyed ‘sewing’ lessons with not a machine in sight.
Among the guests were the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Eileen Harris, and the newly-appointed High Sheriff of Herts, Fiona Trenchard.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor commented on the impressive design of the building which combines traditional and modern design and includes a rotunda housing a Starbucks-style café.
The new development will provide opportunities for the girls to develop their skills in a wide range of fields including music, drama, art, and design and technology.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 6 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold