Scenes of joy at St Georges as results are released
JUBILANT students at St George’s in Harpenden have been celebrating having topped the school’s previous records.
Many of the 150 A-level students were awarded four As and a number achieved the controversial new A* grade.
More than 300 students queued up outside the school’s examination office from 8am in what was the longest ever wait for results.
Headteacher Norman Hoare said: “Our students have done us proud and brought enormous credit to their teachers and supportive parents. We knew they would be good this year but they have exceeded out high expectations. A* and individual achievements at all levels are outstanding and bring tears to the eyes.
“It’s another year of celebration all round for our community even though we know it’s a darned sight tougher to get into university this year. Highly qualified staff were on hand to work with those who may only have missed their first preference by a point or two.”
You may also want to watch:
Results were also in for a special group who worked on the new Extended Project Qualification (EP), which is worth as much as an additional A-level, and they were “out of this world” according to Mr Hoare.
He added: “This is a very demanding intellectual challenge with a special approach to learning and studying led by mentors – staff who gave up their time to see this first cohort through are rejoicing because all of the ten candidates excelled themselves by everyone gaining an A*, the highest award possible.”
- 1 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 2 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 3 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 4 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 5 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 6 Property Spotlight: A fine fixer-upper close to popular St Albans schools
- 7 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 8 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 9 Activist glues himself to St Albans court dock during Extinction Rebellion trial
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'