Scenes of joy at St Georges as results are released
JUBILANT students at St George’s in Harpenden have been celebrating having topped the school’s previous records.
Many of the 150 A-level students were awarded four As and a number achieved the controversial new A* grade.
More than 300 students queued up outside the school’s examination office from 8am in what was the longest ever wait for results.
Headteacher Norman Hoare said: “Our students have done us proud and brought enormous credit to their teachers and supportive parents. We knew they would be good this year but they have exceeded out high expectations. A* and individual achievements at all levels are outstanding and bring tears to the eyes.
“It’s another year of celebration all round for our community even though we know it’s a darned sight tougher to get into university this year. Highly qualified staff were on hand to work with those who may only have missed their first preference by a point or two.”
You may also want to watch:
Results were also in for a special group who worked on the new Extended Project Qualification (EP), which is worth as much as an additional A-level, and they were “out of this world” according to Mr Hoare.
He added: “This is a very demanding intellectual challenge with a special approach to learning and studying led by mentors – staff who gave up their time to see this first cohort through are rejoicing because all of the ten candidates excelled themselves by everyone gaining an A*, the highest award possible.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 7 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 8 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently