Rocket car on show at London Colney Sainsbury’s
SHOPPERS at a London Colney supermarket were greeted by an usual sight among the fruit and veg this week, in the form of a specially designed rocket car.
The car was designed and built by final year aerospace students at the University of Hertfordshire and was on display at Sainsbury’s throughout Friday and Saturday.
Modified from a Vauxhall VX220, the sports car was built in less than six weeks and has been fitted with a rocket motor with a thrust of around 600kg, meaning it will reach 0-60 miles per hour in three seconds – faster than a Ferrari.
Tutors and the students behind the project, a first for the university, were on hand to chat to shoppers who were invited to take a closer look and even get inside the vehicle.
Ray Wilkinson, principal lecturer in aerospace at the university, said: “This is an incredible and exciting achievement for our students and highlights the practical work happening at the University of Hertfordshire that gives our students the hands-on experience they need to progress into their chosen careers.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great to be able to display the rocket car at Sainsbury’s in London Colney and it gained a lot of interest amongst the public. Hopefully it will encourage more young people to study and consider careers in science, technology, engineering and maths.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions