Redbourn 900 celebrations draw to a close with spectacular finale
FAMOUS sportsmen, hat making, a world record attempt and a talent show will all feature in the grand finale of the Redbourn 900 celebrations next weekend.
The main event will take place on Sunday, September 12, and will see England cricket captains Mike Brearley and Mike Gatting holding cricket master classes in the morning, while players from Arsenal and Luton Town football clubs will do the same for their game.
Local bands will also be playing, while the showdown of Redbourn’s Got Talent will form the centrepiece of the afternoon’s entertainment, featuring a dozen acts made up of local people including a group of school teachers and child musicians.
Building on the village’s heritage of hat making and tea blending, there will be a special mad hatters tea party for children as well as a world record attempt for the greatest number of people dancing in hats.
There will also be an exhibition of the milliner’s art, featuring the creations of Andrew Fisher, Philip Wright and Marie Louise Lowcock and a hat competition for all ages. Redbourn Museum will also be hosting a hat and tea exhibition.
You may also want to watch:
Festivities will begin with a chamber choir concert on Saturday, September 11, at 7.30pm at St Mary’s Church, which is at the heart of the celebrations as it was built 900 years ago, signalling the start of the village that residents know and love today.
The Very Reverend Colin Slee, Dean of Southwark Cathedral, will preach at the 11am patronal festival the following day.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
For more information about the events visit www.redbourn900.co.uk