Supply teacher sacked after racist comment at Radlett school
- Credit: Archant
An agency teacher was asked to leave a school in Radlett after making an alleged racist comment towards pupils.
National newspapers reported that the teacher at Newberries Primary School made an anti-Semitic remark in front of a class, nearly half of whom were Jewish, threatening to "ship them off to the gas chambers" if they did not finish their work quickly.
A spokesperson from the school said: "We can confirm that last week we were made aware that an alleged racist comment had been made by an agency teacher working within the school.
"We acted upon this immediately and our governors and leadership team are undertaking a full investigation. We can confirm that the agency teacher will not be returning.
"We would like to reassure parents and carers that the safeguarding of children within Newberries Primary School remains our priority.
You may also want to watch:
"This teacher was not a permanent member of staff. We will continue to work with all members of our school community to ensure that we provide a safe, supportive and respectful learning environment within which all children can thrive."
- 1 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 2 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 5 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 6 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 9 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge