Pupils watch on as St Albans school demolished
CHILDREN from Mandeville School dressed as Bob the Builder in hard hats and high visibility jackets to watch the demolition of the old part of their school this week.
As part of the major refurbishment and expansion of the Ofsted-rated Outstanding Primary school in Mandeville Drive, building contractors Willmott Dixon Group demolished part of the school to make way for new KS2 classrooms.
Headteacher Amanda Godfrey said: “The children are very excited about what is happening to their school. The whole school watched the building work start, and we invited parents to join us for a large picnic in the school grounds. It was a really lovely afternoon.”
The excited children took part in a countdown and cheered as the building work started.
Children have already moved into temporary classrooms while the building work takes place. It is due to finish in February, 2011.
You may also want to watch:
Parent governor Alison Patel said: “The existing building had come to the end of its life and the new building plans are very exciting. At last we will have a learning environment that reflects the high quality of the teachers and their work. The new school will work really well for the children.”
The building work has been planned to avoid any disruption to the children and most of the work will take place during school holidays. “The children have been involved in every stage of the process and they are really looking forward to see what happens next,” said Ms Godfrey. “Our school continues to go from strength to strength.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans