Potential site for new St Albans primary school found
A NEW primary school for the city centre is a step closer this week as Herts County Council (HCC) enter negotiations to buy a site.
Education chiefs have confirmed that the council is in early discussions with the University of Herts about purchasing the School of Law building in Hatfield Road.
Out of the 200 children who did not get a place at one of their ranked schools in the first round of allocations this year, 94 of them were from the city centre and most were given places at Margaret Wix or Mandeville, some way from their homes.
Richard Thake, executive member for education and skills, said: “Following acute pressure for reception places in the town centre over the past three years we have been working hard to provide additional places as close to the area of need as possible, and this exciting new opportunity is something we are keen to investigate further.
“The University of Hertfordshire has already announced its intention to vacate the current School of Law building on Hatfield Road and, as a building already designed for educational use, this presents a unique opportunity to create a new school in the city centre within existing premises.”
You may also want to watch:
HCC is now keen to find out if parents of pre-school children in the city would support this site as a possible solution to the increasing pressure for places and is asking for them to come forward with their views so that the level of local support can be measured.
If you are an interested parent or carer and wish to fill in the survey, visit www.hertsdirect.org/schoolplaces
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests