Popular St Albans teachers retire
THE DISTRICT waved goodbye to some of its teachers this month as they retired after many years of outstanding service.
The headteacher of Park Street School bade a sad farewell to his time at the school after almost 19 years of service.
Geoff Sturgess quickly established himself after arriving in January 1993 and on Wednesday, July 20, the school paid tribute to a much-loved head with an assembly full of songs, poetry and a gift presentation.
After the assembly, past parents and their children returned to share tea and cakes with Mr Sturgess.
He said: “I am so proud of all our present and past pupils and their achievements. I shall miss the children and staff team and know the school will continue to go from strength to strength.”
You may also want to watch:
With 50 years combined service, Maureen Fisher and Sarah Duggan left Bowmansgreen School last week.
Both women worked at the school for 25 years and in that time they influenced many lives within and beyond the school community.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
The departure of two long-standing members of staff was, said a school spokesperson, reflected in the multitude of messages sent to them in their final weeks at the school and the very generous contributions to their retirement gifts.