Popular St Albans teachers retire
THE DISTRICT waved goodbye to some of its teachers this month as they retired after many years of outstanding service.
The headteacher of Park Street School bade a sad farewell to his time at the school after almost 19 years of service.
Geoff Sturgess quickly established himself after arriving in January 1993 and on Wednesday, July 20, the school paid tribute to a much-loved head with an assembly full of songs, poetry and a gift presentation.
After the assembly, past parents and their children returned to share tea and cakes with Mr Sturgess.
He said: “I am so proud of all our present and past pupils and their achievements. I shall miss the children and staff team and know the school will continue to go from strength to strength.”
With 50 years combined service, Maureen Fisher and Sarah Duggan left Bowmansgreen School last week.
Both women worked at the school for 25 years and in that time they influenced many lives within and beyond the school community.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 9 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 10 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
The departure of two long-standing members of staff was, said a school spokesperson, reflected in the multitude of messages sent to them in their final weeks at the school and the very generous contributions to their retirement gifts.