Oxbridge success for Harpenden students
- Credit: Archant
Two-thirds of Oxbridge applicants from a Harpenden school have been offered places at the prestigious universities.
Six pupils at Sir John Lawes (SJL) were offered a place at Oxford and two at Cambridge to study subjects ranging from law to engineering and taking in geography, English and experimental psychology.
Student Max Jenner, who has been offered a place to study French and Beginners’ Italian at Oxford, said: “After jumping all the hurdles of the application process, I’m absolutely thrilled to have been offered a place. Now I just need to focus on getting the grades, and I can look forward to studying at one of Britain’s most prestigious universities.”
Ruby Hutchings, who applied to study English Language and Literature at Oxford, added: “Receiving my confirmation letter was absolutely surreal and it still hasn’t sunk in yet. I am so excited to hopefully spend three years at Oxford University if all goes to plan in the summer.”
The other students who received offers are Kate Bevan, Henry Pulver, James Stebbings, Dan Toy, Jenna Verkroost and Madeline Wakeman.
You may also want to watch:
This year has been one of the most successful in terms of the percentage of SJL applicants being offered places at Oxbridge. There was similar success in 2012 when eight students and one former student were offered places.
Headteacher Claire Robins said: “It’s wonderful to see the hard work our students have put in being rewarded by these offers. I’m also very proud of the support they have received from their teachers and in particular, our very dedicated Sixth Form team.”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area