Outstanding Ofsted for St Albans secondary school
- Credit: Photo supplied
There have been pats on backs all round at a St Albans secondary school which has raised the bar with its recent Ofsted report, where it was described as being outstanding.
Beaumont School, Oakwood Drive, received the highest accolade across the board, including leadership, quality of teaching, achievement and behaviour of students, following a two-day inspection.
It converted to become an academy school in 2012.
Being judged as outstanding marks an improvement at Beaumont, which was rated “good” both after an inspection in 2008 and during an interim assessment two years ago.
Inspectors commented: “Students receive an outstanding education at Beaumont School that prepares them extremely well for the future. Teaching is consistently good and much of it outstanding.
You may also want to watch:
“Students are very respectful towards each other and their teachers. The behaviour and attitudes of students is exemplary in and out of the classroom. Students are very proud of their school.”
Inspectors praised the sixth form as outstanding, saying that the majority of students went on to their first choice university.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
They added: “Governors and senior leaders set themselves very high standards.
“The school is a calm and purposeful place in which to learn.”
Headteacher Elizabeth Hitch thanked staff, students, parents and governors for contributing to Beaumont’s success.
Chair of governors Alex Hall said inspectors had described the school as a “breath of fresh air” and that they had observed some of the best teaching practice in their inspecting careers.