Oaklands College sports hall in St Albans reopened after fire damage
- Credit: Archant
The sports hall at Oaklands College in St Albans has reopened after the floor was damaged in a fire in June.
Rugby player Joel Kpoku, who plays for current English Premiership champions Saracens, officially opened the refurbished building.
He previously attended the college, where he was a student rugby player for the Oaklands Wolves Rugby Academy.
The fire broke out in June after a large section of cladding caught alight in the discovery centre, also damaging the floor of the sports hall. All staff and students were safely evacuated.
Deputy principal Harpreet Nagra, who attended the opening, said: "It was a pleasure to welcome back Joel, a fantastic role model and ambassador for Oaklands College, to open our newly refurbished sports hall.
You may also want to watch:
"I am delighted to see the facilities return to their fully functioning order for our students to utilise for the academic year."
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 A New York state of mind