Oaklands College sports hall in St Albans reopened after fire damage
- Credit: Archant
The sports hall at Oaklands College in St Albans has reopened after the floor was damaged in a fire in June.
Rugby player Joel Kpoku, who plays for current English Premiership champions Saracens, officially opened the refurbished building.
He previously attended the college, where he was a student rugby player for the Oaklands Wolves Rugby Academy.
The fire broke out in June after a large section of cladding caught alight in the discovery centre, also damaging the floor of the sports hall. All staff and students were safely evacuated.
Deputy principal Harpreet Nagra, who attended the opening, said: "It was a pleasure to welcome back Joel, a fantastic role model and ambassador for Oaklands College, to open our newly refurbished sports hall.
You may also want to watch:
"I am delighted to see the facilities return to their fully functioning order for our students to utilise for the academic year."
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?