Second phase of Oaklands College campus redevelopment underway
- Credit: Archant
Work is well underway on the second phase of redevelopment of Oaklands College’s St Albans campus.
Supported by a £2.5 million Local Growth Fund investment from Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), Phase 2 will deliver a brand-new teaching block – the Evolution Centre – comprising 49 new classrooms, offices and facilities to house Pathway 4 special needs provision on Smallford campus.
The work is part of a wider £62 million four-phase redevelopment, with Phase 1 successfully concluding in the summer despite coronavirus restrictions.
Oaklands College principal Zoe Hancock said: “We now look ahead to the second phase of the redevelopment, the Evolution Centre, which will occupy a central area of the campus and create an exciting and engaging new learning and teaching environment for our students and staff.
“We are really pleased to have received financial support from Hertfordshire LEP.
You may also want to watch:
“The Evolution Centre will be a central hub for technical, academic and vocational education. It will transform the learning experience for our students, and we are really looking forward to its completion in Autumn 2021.”
Adrian Hawkins, chair of Hertfordshire LEP’s Skills and Employment Board, said: “We are delighted to support the ambitious transformation of Oaklands College in St Albans, which will provide our young people with an inspirational environment in which to learn.
- 1 St Albans' COVID cases continue to decline as UK surpasses "grim" milestone
- 2 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 3 The Snow Must Go On: More pics of St Albans in the snow
- 4 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 7 Bishop wages war on sports gambling
- 8 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 9 Claw enforcement: How to stop your cat scratching furniture and leaving fur everywhere
- 10 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
“Our investment will enable the college to transition from outdated facilities to the new Evolution Centre teaching block, which will provide the capacity and modern provisions needed to equip the next generation with skills that local employers seek.”
Minister for Regional Growth and Local Government, Luke Hall MP said: “This government is providing a world-class education for every young person in the country.
“That is why we have invested £2.5 million, through the Local Growth Fund, in the Evolution Centre at Oaklands College.
“The centre will deliver technical, academic and vocational education, ensuring every student has the skills they need to succeed.”
Hertfordshire LEP has invested an extra £2.5 million from the Local Growth Fund towards Phase 3, due to begin in 2021 for a new sports pavilion adjacent to the college’s sports pitches to house new changing rooms, hydrotherapy and physiotherapy areas, as well as a new construction teaching centre containing industry-standard workshops for construction students.