New play area in Harpenden unveiled
A NEW play area was unveiled in Harpenden at the weekend.
The facility at Porters Hill Open Space is the first of its kind to be provided by Harpenden Town Council and was officially opened by Town Mayor Cllr Daniel Chichester-Miles and St Albans Deputy Mayor Cllr Beric Read on Saturday (May 22).
The project was driven by the Porters Hill Open Space Steering Group involving St Albans District Council, Harpenden Town Council and the Batford Community Action Group before it was handed over to the town council to manage.
Children were actively involved in the project to create the park, which is nestled between the multi-use games area and the playing fields, to ensure the equipment would be popular, such as the wooden climbing frame, zip-wire and basket swing.
Cllr Chichester-Miles said: “The local community led the campaign for a play area at Porters Hill and it fits wonderfully into the surroundings.
You may also want to watch:
“It is proving to be extremely popular and it is fantastic to see so many young people enjoying the area. I would like to thank all the local funders who have made this project a reality.”
Play in the Parks and the St Albans Onside Project, which regularly use the open space, joined in the celebration by providing activities at the opening event.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 3 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 4 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 5 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 6 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 7 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 8 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 9 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 10 Prove you’ve had vaccine, say a third of St Albans office workers
For more information about Play in the Parks during half-term contact 01727 827667. The St Albans Onside Football sessions take place on Tuesday evenings and participants can turn up and pay 50 pence a session or call to book 01923 896292.