Lord Robert explains what it means to be human at St Albans school
- Credit: Archant
Fertility expert Lord Robert Winston gave the keynote speech at an annual school staff conference.
The Labour peer delivered his speech to a packed audience of staff from Sandringham and other schools, students, governors and members of the public.
He focused on the development of the brain and how human beings learn new things and took the audience through a journey of discovery including how environment can affect learning.
He drew attention to various pieces of research that helped inform understanding of the learning process and then answered a series of questions from the audience.
At the end of the lecture, four sixth form students presented Lord Winston with a cheque for £1000 towards one of his key charities, the Genesis Research Trust, which investigates diseases affecting families, women’s health, pregnancy, care of baby immediately before or after delivery and influences that might affect the baby later on in life.
You may also want to watch:
Sandringham headteacher, Alan Gray, said Lord Winston had delivered, “a wonderful lecture that both informed our practice as teachers and inspired us to continue learning from other professionals in related areas”.
He added: “It was a privilege to have him spend time with us at Sandringham and gain a deeper understanding of his work at Imperial College, London.”
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust