Herts Ad nature columnist brings the natural world into the classroom at St Albans school
- Credit: Archant
Herts Ad columnist Rupert Evershed brought ‘Nature: in all its glory’ to a recent workshop at Marlborough Science Academy.
The session, for Years 8 and 9, saw Rupert discuss his work and help them craft a piece of non-fiction nature writing inspired by the natural landscape of school.
He explained how after a chance meeting with the editor of the Herts Advertiser at St Albans Literary Festival two years ago he pitched the idea of a monthly column, and Nature Notes was born.
Teacher Andrea Clegg explained: “Rupert spoke to the students about how we should all observe what nature there is around us, how to employ all of our senses and sometimes even a sixth sense which can be affected by the weather, season or time of day.
“The students’ brief was to go out and take a photo and then write an article about their picture. Tbe students captured some amazing photographs and some even caught a glimpse of blue sky before regrouping to write their article.”
You may also want to watch:
Rupert said: “It was a thoroughly enjoyable day working with some very capable students. I was very impressed by just how observant the children were as they went out into the school grounds and captured the first signs of spring in the midst of Storm Doris! It was also good to see how well they dealt with the challenges of developing their inspiration into a coherent and structured writing piece. Over recent years, nature writing has experienced an extraordinary revival and it’s great to see Marlborough has its finger on the literary pulse!”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly