Health and safety investigation launched at St Albans’ Verulam School
- Credit: Archant
An investigation has been launched after a parent raised serious health and safety concerns at a boys’ secondary school in St Albans.
In a letter to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), seen by the Herts Advertiser, the parent has called for a thorough check of boilers throughout Verulam School after their son has been coming home complaining of headaches.
It comes after inspections were carried out last year to a boiler in the schools’ business studies building when a member of staff was found to have high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.
Headteacher Paul Ramsey said a team of specialists discovered the boiler in question did not pose a carbon monoxide risk, and maintained he was unaware of the recent complaint.
He commented: “We were told that a member of staff felt they were unwell and indeed they did have high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood and therefore we carried out two inspections, one in July and one in December, by a specialist monitoring company and they came back on December 19 with a report that said there was no concern whatsoever.
You may also want to watch:
“They concluded the higher levels of carbon monoxide did not originate with us. They concluded the levels of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide were well within safe levels expected for a safe environment.”
A spokesperson for the HSE has confirmed they are making initial enquiries.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 10 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match